A foodie's quest to turn up the heat through strength and conditioning with whole food and a hungry mind.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

WIAW #31 Spooky Food and I Didn't Even Know It!


Yes, just ideas.  I sound like a broken record, but work has been keeping me from my true passion for food, cooking, and taking pictures of both. So, in an effort to keep it short but still have a post for What I Ate Wednesday, I just wanted to post a few "to-do's" for this month's WIAW theme of spooky snacks and healthy halloween treats.

Usually our busy time at work is closer to year end, so hopefully it's early this year and I'll have more time around x-mas and the new year. But, lets focus on now, October, the month where it's ok to eat eyeballs, fingers, and brains! Or at least food that looks like them.

I searched for healthy, spooky treats on Google and found this cool site with pretty neat spooky food ideas. Here are two of my favorite pics from the site....

Banana Ghosts
Apple "Bites" - The teeth are slivered almonds














The bananas are covered in melted white chocolate, but I would try something else since I am not a fan of sugary things. Maybe a mix of vanilla protein powder, almond milk, and coconut oil would do the "trick" for a delicious "treat." See what I did there? I get a kick out of myself sometimes...that's all that matters, right? Check out the site, all of the creations are worth checking out.

I don't make spooky treats often, and before knowing what this month's theme would be I made some of these creations in the pics below.  Some of them could easily work as healthy, spooky treats. Of course, there are those annoying people at work that think my healthy, unprocessed food is spooky as is and the crap they eat in a bag is "real food." I let it get to me too much, but it is annoying!

This could work as Moldy Puke Puree. I thank pureed spinach and crumbled goat cheese for the gross out factor...but it's sooo good. Here's the recipe if you want to try; but I don't recommend handing this out to trick-or-treaters.

This is simply cooked barley I used as a cold cereal that could become Maggot Cereal! Add whole cashews for the giant larvae or pistachios for a nice green effect.

These Pumpkin Protein Crepes can easily double as Burned Skin Peels or something skin related.

I have a few more pics from the past that could double as spooky food, but I'll save those for next week. Does anyone else have existing food pictures you didn't intend to be spooky, but after going back to look at them, you can imagine a gross name for it? Don't lie....if you've ever made a green smoothie, you're in the spooky food club.

Ok, I could discuss food all day, but I'm running on E from little sleep, lots of work, and still working out, so lets get to the WIAW part of this WIAW post.  Thank you, Jenn at Peas and Crayons, for being such a gracious What I Ate Wednesday host!





Breakfast - Steamed veggies with a little turkey leftovers from my lunch (see "Lunch" below); rooibos and green tea

Lunch - Baked Jersey sweet potato smothered in simmered turkey cutlets cut into cubes and a side of steamed broccoli

Dinner - Steamed Brussels sprout salad with Trader Joe's Chipotle Salsa, brown mustard, and a few clams hidden under the salsa.

Din-essert - Microwave pumpkin protein bread slices with crunchy peanut butter, coconut butter, and a little Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil; ok, I had a green ginger protein smoothie too, but no pic to prove it...just trust me : )

Have you tried Tropical Traditions Coconut products?  They even have Coconut Peanut Butter that I have to try soon! I'll be trying this oil out over the next couple weeks and hope to share some tasty recipes and then possibly a giveaway.

Guess I better jet, hope you have a great week and find some healthy, spooky foods to make, eat, or both!

6 comments:

  1. love the apple & almond idea! so adorable... and microwaveable pumpkin bread?? please explain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I want to try the apples with almond teeth too! I think little cheese cubes stuck on with peanut butter would be awesome too!

      I need to write out an official pumpkin bread recipe, but I basically use this recipe (http://justaddcayenne.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html?recipe_id=6028623) and just add more pumpkin and egg whites with less oat bran. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I love those apple slices. So SPOOKY :D And the pumpkin protein bread slices looks super yummy. Microwave recipes are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm sensing some sarcasm about the "Spooky" part. They do look cool though, I bet kids would get a big kick out of it. Guess I'll remember that when I have a kid...

      Yep, microwave recipes are perfect when life gets busy but you still want something healthy and tasty. Thanks for commenting and have a great week!

      Delete
  3. everything looks so good! love the halloween treat ideas! you had me with the barley...until you said maggot and then it became stomach churning lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I guess maggot is so much scary as just gross. Maybe they are maggot ghosts?

      Either way, the barley is good whether it resembles dirt dwelling bugs or just a good grain. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete